Here's what we did:
- After introductions, I read the poem, "New Year's Day," for a bit of inspiration.
- Then we got down to the business of writing. The first exercise: to write a letter to an advice columnist about the biggest challenge or problem you are facing this year. Taking this column from Carolyn Hax as an example, we wrote for twenty minutes.
- After a short break we came back together and shared our experience; then spent a few minutes in head-clearing meditation before tackling part two of the exercise.
- Next it was time to turn the tables on our ego and write some "advice to myself." Striving to be as objective, kind and compassionate as possible - while keeping in mind these words of Jane Austen, "We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be," - we became our own advice columnists.
- After a time of sharing we closed our circle for the night.
- Take Your Own Advice